TEIGNMOUTH kickstarted their pre-season schedule with an impressive 2-1 win over Willand Rovers last night.

The Peninsula Premier East new boys fell behind against their Southern League hosts at Silver Street when Douglas Camilo forced in a second half opener.

Teigns debutant Lewis Plackett hit back moments later with a free-kick before Calum Robinson completed the turnaround with seven minutes to go.

Liam Jones’ men had their first half chance with three minutes gone, Isaac Reed whipping a corner in for centre-half Omar Nyang to head over the bar.

And after 15 minutes they drew the first save out of Willand stopper George Burton. Sean Ayre won the ball in midfield and found Ryan Tresidder, who slid a lovely ball through for Brad Breslan to sting the palms of the ex-Torquay keeper.

Willand established a foothold in the game and fashioned some opportunities of their own as the half wore on.

Visiting stopper Richard Virgin had to get down well to prevent a would-be scorer from prodding in on the line.

Willand boss David Steele introduced winger Camilo at half-time, who wasted little time in making a nuisance of himself.

Having caused Bovey Tracey big problems in last week’s friendly at Mill Marsh Park, the 28-year-old sent an acrobatic effort over the bar three minutes after the break.

He then forced Virgin into two smart stops – firstly after cutting in and unleashing a curling effort, then having been played in behind.

Despite the gattractive football on show, it would ultimately be the scrappiest of goals which finally broke the deadlock.

Camilo was on hand to just about force the ball over the line after it had cannoned off the woodwork, referee Dillon Gascoigne consulting his linesman before giving the goal.

Three minutes later Jones’ men were back on level terms. Plackett, who was part of Kingsteignton Athletic’s quadruple-winning side last season, caught Burton off guard with a free-kick which nestled into the far corner from all of 35 yards.

Willand came again and Virgin had to produce a handful more stunning saves to keep them out, which would prove vital when Teignmouth took the lead on 83 minutes.

A pass was threaded from midfield to substitute Jay James, who unselfishly squared the ball for fellow replacement Robinson to roll into an unguarded net.

After earning promotion by winning the Devon Football League South & West division last season, Teigns boss Jones believes his changing room is a great place to be right now.

‘The result is irrelevant for me,’ Jones admitted. ‘It was about us emptying the tank fitness-wise and being brave on the football.

‘Teams like this are a little bit cute in the way they press and we wanted to play football, so it was about us doing that regardless of the scoreline.

‘I thought we handled the game well and there’s always a level of momentum when you win stuff. The changing room has got that.

‘We were saying to the lads last year, when you get that urge to win football matches it becomes a habit.

‘I’m hoping the lads have taken it on board, and the big test now is whether we take it into Stoke Gabriel on Saturday.’

Teignmouth travelled to East Devon without a host of first team players, including talismanic skipper Myles James, last season’s top scorer Ash Donohue, midfielder Jamie Moore and winger Liam Jones.

New signings, in the form of defender Kevin Dadd and former Exwick Villa goalkeeper Zach Lee, were also unable to make the trip.

‘You look at Joner – who was probably one of out best players last year – Mylo, Ash and Moorey, those four lads started both cup finals,’ Jones added. ‘It’s good to have a deep squad and I think that five subs will be a bit of a game-changer this year.’

The Teigns continue their pre-season preparations when they travel to Stoke Gabriel & Torbay Police this Saturday (2pm).