NEWTON Abbot firefighters joined the battle against a blaze at a home’s porch in Ellacombe yesterday evening, Thursday.

Fire control received reports of smoke coming from the porch area of a domestic property, where workmen had been carrying out hot works shortly before 5pm.

A spokesperson said: ‘Two fire engines from Torquay along with one from our Paignton station were mobilised immediately.

‘On arrival crews set to work with a tripple extension ladder and small tools in order to gain access to a roof void, where the smoke was coming from.

‘Crews began cutting away the affected timber and requested the attendance of a specialist camera from our Newton Abbot fire station, to assist in checking the remainder of the roof void for any further hot spots.

‘The cause of the fire was accidental and these all crews have now left the scene in the hands of the occupier.’