Moretonhampstead’s ‘catastrophic’ road closure, which has cut businesses off from customers and caused traffic chaos, was actioned with no consideration of how it would affect the community.

Closing the A382 south of the town for six weeks and sending some drivers on a 50-mile diversion was treated as a ‘small project’ which didn’t require an impact assessment.

Devon County Council’s approach to the scheme - which local residents said was ‘catastrophic’ for the town - has been revealed after a local business co-owner investigated the decision to shut a main route into the town during the crucial peak visitor season.

Residents accept that the work to repair a retaining wall holding up the A382 is vital. But Michelle Grist of Wray Valley Camping wanted to know why the council had rejected alternative solutions such temporary traffic lights or a convoy system that would keep the road partially open during the repairs.

She submitted a Freedom of Information request for written records of how the roadworks were planned, what options and costings were considered, and how within the disruption to Moretonhampstead’s residents and traders had been evaluated.

After an exchange of emails and a complaint to the local government ombudsman, which referred her back to the county council, she received an email from Devon County Council’s Group Engineer (Bridges and Structures), Simon Hill.

It stated that decisions on the delivery of ‘small projects’ like this one are ‘verbally communicated between team members’, and that it was ‘wholly acceptable’ that the team held no written records of how decisions had been reached.

The email also stated: “The process does not require any impact assessment of the minor road network (regardless of the diversion length) as it is deemed that vehicles should follow the diversion route.”

As a result of this decision-making process, the A382 has been completely closed between Pepperdon Lane and Wray Barton since July 20. Drivers on main roads approaching the roadworks are signposted to the designated diversion for large vehicles – back towards Exeter and on to the A30. Initially, no local diversions were indicated within the diversion route. Satnav is still directing drivers into single-track lanes, creating gridlocked queues. Larger vehicles attempting a short cut have got completely stuck.

Since the closure took effect, Moretonhampstead’s traders have seen the usual flow of summer customers dwindle to a trickle.

Ione Rucquoi, owner of the Hippo bistro in the town centre, said: “The road closures have had a real and lasting impact on local businesses and the town as a whole.

“It leaves you feeling that Devon County Council simply doesn’t understand or care about the challenges faced by small rural communities and the independent businesses that keep them alive.”

The disruption and delays have also cost time and money for the not-for-profit NEDcare, whose staff provide home care to elderly people around Moretonhampstead and Lustleigh. Manager Jane Tilsley said: “Frankly, it’s been a nightmare.

“The difficulty is that we have no idea what the travelling time will be between visits.

“We look after some vulnerable people – sometimes the carer is the only person they see from day to day and if that person is late, they worry.”

Moretonhampstead Parish Council said: “The Parish Council has been disappointed by the clarity of the signage at the start of the closure, which has led to confusion for drivers and ongoing problems on the back lanes.

“We have asked Devon County Council for improved signage and have been assured this will be put in place.

“We are pleased with how the engineering works themselves are progressing, and Devon County Council has told us that temporary traffic lights will be installed as soon as it is safe to do so. We hope this will help ease the impact on residents and local businesses.”

However, any hopes that the A382 might reopen before the scheduled end of the work - Friday, August 28 - were dashed when an additional 10-day closure was announced on the section between Budleigh and Steward Cottages. This is for resurfacing work, also being carried out for Devon County Council. It’s at the Moretonhampstead end of the existing closure; the signs went up and resurfacing began, as announced, on Monday, August 17.

Additional resurfacing work on section of the A382 close to Moretonhampstead town centre
Additional resurfacing work on section of the A382 beyond the existing closure (Ed Tugwell)

After Michelle received the final response from Devon County Council, she immediately asked the Local Government Ombudsman to reopen an investigation, stating that ‘my business and the local community are suffering real-time financial harm and severe traffic gridlock from an entirely undocumented, unassessed scheme’.

While it’s too late to get the work halted, she’s hoping there might be some compensation on offer, “or - the absolute minimum - perhaps Devon County Council might reconsider the way they do work in the future.”