CLOTHS and cardboard accidentally left on a hob caused a fire in a home at Abbotskerswell this afternoon (Thursday).

Three fire appliances from Newton Abbot and Torquay dealt with the incident at Laburnum Terrace, Abbotskerswell, at around 12.30pm.

A Fire Services spokesperson said: ‘Three fire appliances were mobilised to Laburnum Terrace, Abbotskerswell, following a call from the occupant reporting that their living room was full of smoke.

‘Fire Control confirmed at the time of call that they were safely able to evacuate and wait for us outside.

‘Crews were on scene within minutes and soon located the fire, involving a small amount of cloths and cardboard, that had been accidentally left on the hob.

‘Crews entered the property in breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire, before clearing the property of smoke, both naturally and using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

‘The incident was brought under control at 1.20pm, damage was minimal, confined to the cloths and cardboard only, and luckily there were no casualties.’