Teignmouth's disappointing run of results continued at the G J Churchward Memorial Ground when championship-chasing Stoke Gabriel overcame a dogged performance by the Teigns to record a 4-2 victory.

The win moved Stoke up to second in the table, two points behind leaders Galmpton. Teigns slipped to tenth after once lying fourth.

The withdrawal of Buckfastleigh Rangers from the Peninsula League has not helped Teigns' position as the league's board of officials has ruled that all Buckfastleigh's results be expunged.

Teignmouth had lost 1-2 and beaten them earlier in the season 3-1, but they have had three points deducted from their total and their goals for and against adjusted.

Teignmouth were slow out of the blocks and Stoke took full advantage, scoring twice in the first ten minutes.

Bond headed home the first from a corner, then Williams finished off a well-worked free-kick that bemused a static Teigns defence.

Sparked into life by the two-goal deficit, Teigns began to play the football they are capable of, moving the ball quickly in midfield and using the width of the pitch.

The home side were pushed back on the defensive and, in the 14th minute, Andy Breslan's pass put Adam Hill clear on the right wing. Hill's pace and tenacity saw him beat Stoke's full-back and his cross was met by Ashley Webber at the far post to slam the ball home.

Stoke regained their two-goal lead in the 35th minute when Moseley forced the ball home after a tame shot from Routledge had come back off a post.

Teigns defended well as their hosts stepped up the pressure. Captain Geoff Breslan, playing at sweeper, marshalled Teigns' defence of Jaime Dodge and Lee Haywood and thwarted the home forwards.

On the stroke of half-time Teigns broke away once again with Hill supplying the cross that caused panic in Stoke's penalty area and Ian Wilkinson was at the far post to tap the ball into an empty net.

Teigns raised their game in the second half and the match swung from end-to-end.

Craig Stonelake's unflinching approach and Andy Breslan's passing gave Teigns the edge in the middle of the park. Paul Tucker shot wide from the edge of the box and Rob Perry just failed to hit the target with a volley.

At the other end, Liam Jones made a fine one-handed save from Bond to keep his side in the match.

Dodge made some well-timed tackles and he and Haywood broke up the home attacks, allowing Geoff Breslan to dictate the game, setting Teigns' attacks going from deep.

Terry Breslan came on for Webber and Tristan Dorey replaced Tucker as the visitors upped the ante searching for an equalising goal, but in the 82nd minute Shobrook volleyed home after Teignmouth failed to clear to restore Stoke's two-goal cushion.

Tomorrow, Teignmouth travel to Foxhole to face Totnes and Dartington, kick-off 2.15pm.