Flaming June? It’s more like a summer washout

By Richard Whitehouse   |   Local Democracy Reporter   |
Monday 17th June 2019 6:00 pm

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

A SEVERE storm wreaked havoc across Teignbridge this week as torrential rain, hail stones, thunder and lightening hit the district.

Flash flooding caused motorists, business owners and residents nothing but mayhem and misery as Monday night’s tempest struck.

Staff and councillors – including Teignbridge Council leader Gordon Hook – were left stranded at the authority’s headquarters on the Brunel Industrial Estate because of flooding.

Firefighters rushed to Forde House to clear the drains after major downpours blocked the entrance and exit.

Cllr Hook explained after the drama: ‘A lot of staff – including myself – couldn’t get to our cars because of flooding. Fire crews were there, up to their knees in water, trying to unblock the drains.’

Staff at Gerry and Co Jewellers in Courtenay Street, Newton Abbot, were forced to close the store ‘until further notice’ on Tuesday morning because of ‘severe flooding.’

Motorists were faced with lengthy delays as torrents of water turned streets around Newton Abbot into rivers.

It took one driver more than an hour to travel from Kingskerswell to Denbury because of deep floods along St Marychurch Road and Torquay Road.

Town councillor Mike Joyce, who lives near Torquay Road, told the Mid-Devon Advertiser: ‘I had to sweep water away and put towels down to stop my property being flooded due to blocked drains.’

Torrents of water seeped into the Wolborough Inn, Newton Abbot, because drains couldn’t keep up with the downpour.

Landlord Tim Langford said on Tuesday: ‘A load of water came into the pub through the back door because the drains just couldn’t hold it.

‘The water actually went into our cellar and that filled up before coming into the bar. Thankful it is pretty much dry now.’


To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0