An Independent Family-Owned Newspaper
Follow us on:
Subscribe to our RSS News Feed
School fire could have been caused by electrical fault
Friday, 11 May 2012
A fire which ripped through part of Teignmouth Community School causing hundreds of thousands of pounds damage was probably caused by an electrical fault.
Experts quickly ruled out arson, and principal Tony Gray praised the swift response of firefighters, police, staff, parents and students, who rushed to the scene as soon as news of the outbreak at the technology department spread around the town.
Two classrooms were destroyed, and two others put out of action by water damage. Insurance assessors have been at the scene to survey the damage.
As well as the damage to the buildings, a large amount of valuable equipment was destroyed, which alone could cost at least £200,000 to replace.
A lot of coursework constructed by pupils was ruined,
All content © of Mid-Devon Advertiser unless stated otherwise.
Comments on this news item:
Be the first to comment using the form below.
Add your comment:
Click above to view our latest edition
Sir Ray Tindle
Advertise with us
Something to sell?
Should police authorities be disbanded in favour of a police and crime commissioner role?